GBA support and hints for other embedded platforms

Sandy Meier smeier at kdevelop.org
Thu Nov 29 17:40:06 UTC 2001

Hi!

Today I have added Gameboy Advance support to Gideon including a "hello
world" template and an emulator frontend.
As this a something like an embedded system and as I know Ralf and maybe some
others will add support for other platforms I want to share my experience. :-)

First compiling:
This is very easy as the current AutoMake plugin already allows to set the
crosscompiler and some configure options, like the "host" system.

In the default generated projectfile for GBA look like this:
<compiler>
   <ccompilerbinary>arm-agb-elf-gcc</ccompilerbinary>
   <cxxcompilerbinary>arm-agb-elf-g++</cxxcompilerbinary>
   <cflags/>
   <cxxflags/>
</compiler>
<configure>
   <configargs>--host=arm-gcc-elf --build=i386</configargs>
   <builddir/>
</configure>

But you can change it in the project options. Thanks to Bernd. :-)

After this compiling and building works very well.  Maybe you have to add
"objcopy" or something else to the default Makefile.am for converting
different binary formats (linux-elf -> arm-agb-elf) ...

Now running:
Often you need an emulator if you want to test your program but don't want to
upload it to your Palm or something else every time.
For this we can't use the default "execute/run options" from the automake
plugin. To implement your own version you can add
---
<kdevautoproject>
  <run>
   <default_implementation>no</default_implementation>
  </run>
</kdevautoproject>
---
to the projectfile.

With this configuration the AutoMake plugin doesn't insert the menuentry
"execute program"
and doesn't show the "Run Options" in the project configuration anymore.

Now you can implement these features with your own KDevelop plugin.:-)
Please look at ftp://ftp.kdevelop.org/stud/smeier/runconf.png for the GBA
solution.

Thanks for your attention.

Ciao!
Sandy