KDEVELOP on Sun Solaris

Anatoly Korzun anatoly at callsys.co.uk
Tue Nov 27 07:08:34 UTC 2001

KDEVELOP on Sun SolarisHello Robert,

I am not a member of KDEVELOP Team, just a user.

I have used KDevelop on x86 Solaris for several moths. Recently I installed
it on SPARC Solaris (Netra T1, Solaris 8, KDE 2.1, KDevelop 1.4). I haven't
used KDevelop on SPARC really intensively yet but it seems to work normally.

I also tried a trial version of SUN Forte C++. Of course, even not
mentioning the price of Sun Forte, as a development environment KDevelop is
much more convenient, in spite of all its bugs and problems.

However, KDevelop seems to be tightly connected to GNU tools. Though GNU C++
is a nice tool and considerably closer to ANSI standard than SUN Forte C++
compiler it lacks the 64-bit support (at least as far as I can understand).

I don’t make any conclusion. Moreover, I’d like to know, if possible, your
reason not to use SUN Forte.

Regards,

Anatoly