PLEASE REMOVE THIS IMMEDIATELY: was Re: VS .NET review

Davka Davka at potchky.immersive.com
Thu Nov 15 20:43:20 UTC 2001

On 15Nov 04:45, Eray Ozkural (exa) wrote:
> Did you really take legal advice about this particular matter?
>
> It depends, as far as I know, how much they have tried to abuse private law
> in their license for that specific product. What does the license say, and is
> that license binding all of the globe? I'd think that if they have a clause
> about screenshots, much like what Adobe has in their licenses, and in my
> opinion unrightfully so, you would not be permitted to use the screenshots in
> a publication under certain cases; in certain countries. It should not give
> anybody the right to shut down any project on the Internet though. And fair
> use rights should apply. Writing a review of a software product is a very
> common exercise, and since we aren't a competing business why should that
> matter at all?
>
> IANAL, but I don't think that copyright law gives companies such endless
> powers.

The real question is not whether companies can actually prevail in court.
The question is whether it gives a lawyer the opportunity to get an
injunction.  If the other party doesn't have the money to pay a lawyer
to answer the injunction, that party will lose by default.

--
-Davka
davka at immersive dot com

"Smooth moves are the province of con men and laxatives." -me

-