Crazy(??) dcop idea

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at bigfoot.com
Sun Nov 11 00:27:01 UTC 2001

Hi

Perhaps for after kde3 (4 ?)

Since it isn't that easy to introduce a hierarchy of objects in dcop and
tronical convinced my that it wouldn't be a clean solution I thought about
something else.

At the moment we have
in the kmainwindow class a function action, which returns dcoprefs, and a
function which actions, which returns a string list.

In koffice each document has a function, which returns a dcop ref to a
specified view (specified by index).

What about a naming convention for those functions  (not only for actions and
views, but generally for methodes, which return multiple dcop refs.

DCOPRef action(QCString);
QStringList actions

view(int)
DCOPRef viewCount();

or something like that.

I think it would make it easier to implement code completion for scripts using
dcop eg in kdevelop or kate  easier.

i think it would be nice to see a tree in kdcop too, which allows the user to
see a logical structure, not only a linear list of dcop objects.

(I started thinking about this while writing serial letter classes for kword,
which I like to make dcopcallable:

Some classes which belong to an Document, but aren't equal
logical hierarchy:
Document-X
	SerialLetterDataBase
			PluginClass.