AW: C/C++ projects don't work for suse 7.2, suse7.3 and upcoming kdevelop 2.0.2

W. Tasin tasin at fhm.edu
Tue Nov 6 00:11:56 UTC 2001

ian reinhart geiser wrote:

>On Monday 05 November 2001 09:51 am, you wrote:
>
>>Ouch!
>>
>>So, is it correct to say all the projects created with kdevelop (some
>>versions at least) will cease to work on newer systems?

Hmmm...
with kdevelop?
I think many projects (even outside from kdevelop) which use
automake/autoconf will now have problems with the new versions of
autoconf and automake, because the checking of Makefile.am, m4-macros
and configure.in(.in) is stricter now.

>>Because sooner or later all distributions/U*Ces will upgrade to the newer
>>autotools, won't they?
>>

>Hmmm, this is not a good thing.
>I wonder if it would not be pudent to regenerate the admin directory on
>startup of kdevelop?

In the actual situation it needs always root rights or every user has
its own admin.tar.gz?

>This directory should not change at all, and i think
>this is all we need to change for it to work?
>
>Thoughts?
>- -ian reinhart geiser

Sorry, Ian but I think updating only the admin.tar.gz isn't the solution.

The best way IMHO is to update manually, I know a hard way but the most
secure.

In the older automake/autoconf systematic there was nearly no way to
automate an update, because you would need a parser for configure.in.

Now with the introduction of the admin/ dir and some new Makefile rules
the project independent parts are moved to this directory.

So the problem has been reduced to the configure.in.in, but even this
can still be a problem. I think for kde project types we all (thanks to
Coolo, David and Co.) are on a good way to update only the admin
directory and increases the possibility to automate the update process
of configure.in.in.
Other project types (especially the terminal project types) cause more
trouble, even if the kdevelop user does more than the standard checkings
inside configure.in.in or writing own .m4 rules --> minimalistic parser
for configure.in(.in) ?!

Maybe an external script to update an existent project could handle 85%
of these cases. But this is IMHO almost an own project or at least a
part of the new project management.

All this was only considering corrections caused due to the newer
autoconf and/or updating to the improvements of kde's m4-macros (namely
in acinclude.m4.in) and libtool-m4-macros/scripts

In this special case we also have to consider the updates (better
"corrections") for automake 1.5, so we also have to look at all
Makefile.ams, because there are some duplicated entries, which were no
problem for the older automake versions, but now they must be deleted.
Fortunately this happens not too often.

To finish my 2.000001 cents:
WANTED code which updates Makefile.ams, Makefile.(dist|cvs),
configure.in(.in) and admin-dir (and also considering the actual content
of the old files or using *.kdevprj).

Ciao

Walter

--