big problems with KDE's window manager

F@lk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Wed May 23 09:16:28 UTC 2001

Hi,

Matthias Ettrich wrote:

> On Wednesday 23 May 2001 10:22, gigafalk at yahoo.com wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > The latest KDE from CVS (as well as KDE-2.1.1) in combination with the
> > latest KDevelop from branch KDEVELOP_1_4 cause this problem:
> > 50% of application restarts lead to a mainwindow without any toplevel
> > window frame. Sometimes it hangs completely.
> >
> > Can any of the window manager gurus take a look, please? We are baffled.
>
> Can you reproduce that with anything other than kdevelop?
No, I can't.

Well, the relevant code is the using of
KDockMainWindow::readDockConfig() (kdelibs/kdeui/kdockwidget.cpp) in
CKDevelop's constructor (kdevelop-2.0cvs/kdevelop/ckdevelop_init.cpp).

This happens in the constructor: First the constructor creates a lot of
KDockWidgets and docks them to their default position. After that
readDockConfig() is called which reads a saved docksession from
kdeveloprc and redocks all KDockWidgets to the new position.

It seems, such a lot of reparent and whatever events causes event timing
problems in KDE's window manager. On my fast machine (1,2GHz) it works
more often than on other slow machines of Harry and Roland.

Ciao,
F at lk

P.S.: Using kdelibs (7.May01) it works properly