C/C+ Reference License

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Mon May 21 08:54:39 UTC 2001

On Mon, 21 May 2001, Ralf Nolden wrote:

> Norman Jordan wrote:
> >
> > I was just wondering what license(s) the C/C++ Reference uses.
> >
> > Thanks
> There's no license actually. We're offered to give it away for free but
> it's docs and in former times doc's didn't have licenses, just
> copyrights :)

>From the 'Copyright Information Circulars and Form Letters'
by the U.S. Copyright Office:

  Copyright is a form of protection provided by the laws of the United
  States (title 17, U.S. Code) to the authors of original works of
  authorship, including literary, dramatic, musical, artistic, and
  certain other intellectual works. This protection is available to both
  published and unpublished works. Section 106 of the 1976 Copyright Act
  generally gives the owner of copyright the exclusive right to do and to
  authorize others to do the following:

      To reproduce the work in copies or phonorecords;

      To distribute copies or phonorecords of the work to the public by
      sale or other transfer of ownership, or by rental, lease, or
      lending;

  [snip]

  It is illegal for anyone to violate any of the rights provided by the
  copyright law to the owner of copyright.

In other words, if you don't get a license by the author of
an intellectual work - including documentation - you are not
allowed to redistribute it.

Bernd.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«