The goodness of goodness

Simon Hausmann hausmann at kde.org
Fri May 18 14:35:22 UTC 2001

On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 02:16:59PM +0200, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> > I would tend to call a KDevelop java support class 'Java<rest of classname>'
> > even if I could give it the same name as an existing C++ support class via
> > namespaces. Is it a good idea for each plugin to declare its own namespace?  I
>
> Hmm, I don't even know. In principle parts only need to export a
> single symbol, namely the init_foo which returns a factory. So
> there would be no problem. OTOH, it doesn't look like kde doesn't
> use ld's feature to restrict exporting symbol tables...

I think it's a good idea to use namespaces for plugins.

We used this ld feature for exporting init_* only
('-export-symbols-regex 'init_.*'"' was part of KDE_PLUGIN), but IIRC it turned
out that it only works for linux (which makes it something we can't rely on,
as then you just 'move' the crashes to other platforms without eliminating
their cause ;-)

Bye,
 Simon

-