partselector

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel mhk at caldera.de
Fri May 11 14:14:53 UTC 2001

On Fri, 11 May 2001, Richard Dale wrote:

> > You could
> > also imagine someone writing a part outside the project as a replacement
> > for a part we have because he can handle things better with it. Then you
> > need a simple way to decide which one to use. We could inspect the KDE
> > mime-type dialog to think about how this can be done similar towards the
> > user to decide which part in which order to use for which project type.
> Do KParts have an attribute called 'goodness' or similar, for resolving this
> sort of problem? Then you would set the goodness to a high value for a new and
> better part than the standard one, and pick it up automatically. But you might
> stll want to override 'goodness', so there would still be a need to select
> parts.

Yes, there is such a mechanism. It is implemented in KTrader.
For example, in the new editor interface, I ask the trader for
an editor, and I pick the one the user likes best.

To tell what the user likes best, there is a Entry
'InitialPreference' in the service .desktop file.

The only drawback is that this is set on a per-service basis,
so you would have to define a service type for each part where
you think that multiple implementations might make sense.

Bye,
Matthias.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«