partselector

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Fri May 11 09:37:34 UTC 2001

Bernd Gehrmann wrote:

> The more parts we get, the more it becomes clear that the current way of
> selecting them isn't sufficient. For example, when I develop a C++
> application, I want to use a native debugger, when I develop Java
> I want to use the java debugger. You normally don't want to use both
> at the same time (unless your're Richard ;-) This is only most obvious
> example since other parts are more 'hidden'.
>
> So I think we need configuration on a per-project basis. But maybe
> for some parts it makes sense to be present always, and not only
> when a project is loaded. What is the best way to implement this?
> Offer both a global and a per-project part selector? Let the parts
> decide themselves whether they are global or not? Any other
> possibilities?

I think that you need a line in a basic module like the project setting
where it defines in the project after creation: requires=partname1,
partname2 that should be loaded on startup. The user can load another
part and that get's put into the user's projectfile. A configuration
dialog should be in the project options dialog with a listing of the
parts where the user can select that he additionally wants part xy. That
would make it very transparent although from the usability point of view
this is all very confusing because the user operates on the basis of
simple choice of saying Ok, I want to debug, do it. In this case, the
project type should decide to load the according debugging part
automatically. A general line in the part's description file should help
to destinguish on a basis like mime-types what the part does and the
user can configure which part he wants to use for this action. You could
also imagine someone writing a part outside the project as a replacement
for a part we have because he can handle things better with it. Then you
need a simple way to decide which one to use. We could inspect the KDE
mime-type dialog to think about how this can be done similar towards the
user to decide which part in which order to use for which project type.

Ralf

--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org