TODO list for 2.0 (7/5/2001)

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Tue May 8 17:16:32 UTC 2001

--- "F at lk Brettschneider" <gigafalk at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Jens Zurheide wrote:
> > I would favour if the check is performed on changing the views and
> maybe even

So do I, for the simple reason that, if you check it when you change a
view, you hide the time it takes to receive the information from disk
with the time it takes to do all the "docViewManaging". Therefore it
wouldnt appear that KDevelop is slow when it gets focus.

>  You will most probably loose time. (The time for comparing two
> timestamps
> > against each other should not be the problem.)

No, not the time for the comparison will be the problem, but the time
it takes to retrieve QFileInfo from disk. So if you retrieve it for a
few hundred files at a time it *will* be slow.

> Well, thanks a lot for the hints mates, my today's decision would be
> implement it like in MS Visual C++ 6.0. MSVC takes a check for all
> open
> files whenever the mainframe window has got a focusIn event.
> And I
> think
> that is the best way. You change a file outside KDevelop and after
> that
> you switch back to KDevelop where it will be noticed _immediately_.
> And
> it means to avoid unnecessary checks. What do you think about this
> suggestion?
>
> BTW: Hmm...In Toplevel MDI mode, it is necessary to check the open
> files
> with every focusIn event of any toplevel view. Additionally, we could
> use DocViewMan::slot_gotFocus as central point.

The handling remains unique and straightforward if you perform the
check everytime a file gets focus.

Regards
Roland

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and