TODO list for 2.0 (7/5/2001)

Jens Zurheide jens.zurheide at gmx.de
Tue May 8 05:39:42 UTC 2001

Tuesday 08 May 2001 06:42 W. Tasin
>Roland Krause wrote:
>>--- "F at lk Brettschneider" <gigafalk at yahoo.com> wrote:
>>We should check when we switch views, or when we attempt to save and
>>thus would overwrite the file. But how do you check whether the file
>>was changed? Is there a way to compare and save file modification time?
>
>IIRC this was done by Sandy on the 1.4 branch.
>
>IMO you should check the modification outside of the buffer ONLY if you
> would destroy the newer modification.... (so only on Save this file or on
> Save All)
>
>Please don't do this on switching views...
>
>Falk: The way to check it:
>On loading the file to memory you should also get the time and date from the
> file on disk (QFileInfo I guess) and remember it (in a memory structure or
> similar), on file save these two values will be compared again. If
> something has changed give a warning...
>if not, save it and remember the new time and date from the file (again
> QFileInfo, never system time).

I would favour if the check is performed on changing the views and maybe even
on editing. What if a file really changes outside the editor and you do not
notice it, you start changing it in the editor and finally you want to save
it? You will most probably loose time. (The time for comparing two timestamps
against each other should not be the problem.)

I think the problem occurs mainly if there are changed/unsaved files in the
editor and you start a compilation. Afterwards you get the warnings. I tried
to find the reason but I must have missed it or it is somewhere else...

Take care,
Jens

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«