KDevelop editor interfaces - ups

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Thu May 3 17:52:07 UTC 2001

--- Bernd Gehrmann <bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de> wrote:
> > That actually applies just as well to the "splitter mode" currently
> > available in HEAD. The practicality of this "MDI" mode decreases w/
> the
> > number of files you have opened at the same time.
>
> No, you can have 300 files open without that affecting the
> user interface.

We are probably speaking of different things here. Let me clarify,  if
you try to open many files, say 30 to deescalate numbers a bit,
"splitter mode" becomes just a little bit less useless, than "tiled
childframe mode". Nevertheless, it's practicality decreases with the
number of simultaneously viewed files. This is not true for "childframe
mode" where you can prioritize views.

> > But let's focus the discussion on a more appropriate subject, how
> can
> > it be made possible that people who want "split window" mode can
> have
> > that and people who prefer "child frame" mode can have that also.
>
> We did that until you came up with this "tested and functional" crap.

Bernd, I respect your integrity and your opinions. Nevertheless, you
have no right to comment on my opinions or contributions to this
mailing lists as "crap".

> In user interface studies people have been assigned tasks
> they should solve with different user interfaces. It has
> always turned out that they were less efficient with overlapping
> windows. And this is nothing new, it was known at Xerox PARC
> twenty years ago. Even Marlin Eller talks about it in his
> book :-)

I admit, I have never read Marlin Eller's book, in fact I never read
any user interface study at all. What is obvious to me now is, that
this discussion won't get us anywhere except we are converging towards
on of these "windows vs. cli" threads that can be found anywhere on
Usenet. Lets end this thread until someone submits some code ;-)

Regards
Roland

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and