KDevelop editor interfaces - ups

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Wed May 2 18:06:25 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2 May 2001, F at lk Brettschneider wrote:

> Bernd Gehrmann wrote:
> >
> > No, I don't mean the taskbar (which deviates from the look&feel
> > of either a taskbar or a toolbar). As soon as one wants to see
> > several files at once, windows get randomly overlapped. The only
> > way to actually see two files at once is either to move them out
> > of the way (requires a huge screen) or to start a long-term exercise
> > in window rearrangement.
> Window->Placing->Tile...

That's actually the most useless ui feature I've seen in the last
20 years (short of a gay paperclip dancing around on the screen).
Why would I ever want to see all my 30 open files at once, with
4 pixels of each of them visible?

> The other way is to switch to Toplevel mode and to use the various
> window operations of the certain window manager.

That adds even more window decorations, consuming even more space,
reducing the available space for relevant stuff.

> > Of course, making one window larger at
> > the expense of another is also impossible.
> ??? don't know what that means.

It's quite simple: information in a window hidden by another window is
useless information. WiW MDI maximizes the amount of hidden information
by overlapping and maximizes the space covered by window decorations
and background. Each time you make a window smaller, the amount of
background is increased. Each time you make a window larger, you
cover other windows with it. To make it even worse, not all relevant
information is available at the same time. When I compare two files
side by side, I can at any time only see the line number of one of
them. Finding out the other requires changing the focus.

Bernd.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«