KDevelop session load/save

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 22:57:23 UTC 2001

Hi,

FYI: Now there's not only .kdevprj any more but also .kdevses. I decided
to create that new file type because of:
   1.) My experience with .kdevprj is that it was impossible
       to handle such files in CVS without conflicts when there
       is work in teams.
   2.) it is much easier to use XML than KConfig.

.kdevses is the session file of KDevelop itself, it can be removed
without problems at all 'cause it is of temporary nature and is not
necessary for work actually. Currently, it just contains the geometries
and MDI information of the KWrite documents and views. The CDocBrowser
stuff will follow next. There's no need for having a .kdevses file under
CVS control, every user has its own personal session.

The user must not know about the .kdevses file. So we could drop it in
later KDevelop versions without problems.

I created .kdevses in appropriation to Microsoft Visual C++, they handle
the session separately as well (at the moment I don't remember what the
session file suffix is).

We could move other session entries from .kdevprj to .kdevses as long as
it doesn't break the compatibility for importing previously created
.kdevprj files. So we have the chance to get the .kdevprj format ready
for CVS in the KDevelop 2.0 version.

Ciao,
F at lk

P.S.: JBB, there's still a bug with the syntax highlighting of the
editor view text. Currently, no colours are shown after autoload of
.kdevses. I debugged for hours but haven't found the reason for it. :-(
Do you have an idea? Or maybe some other KWrite gurus? :-)

P.P.S.: Roland & others, please keep on testing the 2.0pre version. I'm
glad to have the chance to get your feedback. :-)