to shed a little more light on the printing situation...

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 23 18:21:46 UTC 2001

John,

--- John Birch <jbb at kdevelop.org> wrote:

> Much better to use kdDebug surely.

What s kdDebug, since when does it superceed debug? I would sure use
it, if just I had known :-)

> I don't really see the point of
> this
> patch,

The important point to me is, that

a) printing gets its own designated shell process
b) feedback from printing gets routed to the output tab window, so that
the user can actually get decent feedback on why things go wrong

> but more disappointing is that even after I've explained the
> reason
> behind the removeNullParams you have still removed it.

That was a classical mail crossover problem, I send the patch before I
actually read your email.

> Why? Is it
> causing a
> bug for you?

No, actually I think this is quite a crude hack, the kind of which I
would never accept if it was my code. So when I was trying to figure
out what's wrong with printing, this was my first try. It didnt make a
difference so I left it out. Just put it back in, I really could care
less.

> Regardless, could you talk to Ravikiran Rajagopal
> <ravi at ee.eng.ohio-state.edu> about this and make sure that whatever
> the patch
> becomes it works for him, as he is the person that supplied the
> nullparam fix.
>
> OTOH maybe we should consider using the new kdeprint stuff, but not
> having,
> or using a printer, it's not of great interest to me.

Yes, I am not one of the people that print out source code either.
Besides that is there an enscript frontend somewhere else in KDE that
one could use instead this? That'd be the way to go, drop a2ps support
completely and take someone elses enscript frontend w/ the standard KDE
printing dialog.

> > Btw. are there any .ui or other dialog files for the printing
> stuff?
> > Or was that all hand written dialog code that is about to become
> > unmaintained now?
>
> This has been unmaintained for months (approaching years perhaps?) -
> it was
> done waaay back in kde1 time, prior to designer and even prior to
> kdevelop's old "designer".

So there is actually no hope that this could be brought in shape w/o a
complete recoding effort anyway... I guess.

Roland

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and