KDevelop3 was: nasty bug, CKDevelop::edit_widget

bretzel serge.lussier at videotron.ca
Tue Mar 13 15:32:20 UTC 2001

On Tuesday 13 March 2001 08:51, you wrote:
> On Dienstag, 13. März 2001 14:18, you wrote:
> > > As a relatively new person approaching the KDevelop project, I would
> > > like to say how unfortunate, I believe, the decision to start a new
> > > KDevelop completely from scratch is.
> >
> > I agree with this. It is easy to say, but very difficult to do! There are
> > lots and lots of men hours dug in de current version and also in the 3.0
> > version. KDevelop 1.x has very much limits and is the subject of an
> > intensive reconstruction, perhaps better from scratch.
>
> In my opinion KDevelop1.x was nice for C/C++ projects with KDE1
> technologies. Begining from scratch is and was really needed. (Falk listed
> some reason in his email). Adding MDI,Kparts,Xml framework,plugins would be
> nice for the user, but for the developer this would end in big chaos.
>
> > I think sometimes KDevelop 3.0 is not taken serious any more, which to my
> > opinion has the potentials we need.
>
> Yes, unfortunately we have this situation since 1-2 years. :-( KDevelop3
> has already nice features (colored outputview,MDI/SDI,new class and
> projectviewer, new application wizzard,xml framework,plugins/services,
> better compiler options and so on. With the current situation I fear
> KDevelop3 is a dead project and will never be released. :-(
>
> Ciao!
> Sandy

Here are only my opinions as a user:

I am scared...It sounds like the whole Kdevelop project is messed up ?
While I did not follow discutions, I suddenly read that not only Kdevelop 2
isn't done yet but there was Kdevelop 3 in the road... very confusing...

Kdevelop1.4 seems to be the only almost achieved thing because it was
a port from KDE1. ( Which is natural and was urgently needed - Thank you very
much to Jbb and Ralf for the initiative)

What's happening to the project ? Is it because nobody is interested or/and
has no time anymore ?

Now there are three head branches:  1.4, 2.0 and 3.0 - this is confusing me.
I read that 2.0 will be with KDE2.1.1 ( or KDE2.2 ? )

To the core Kdevelop developers:
PLEASE! do not be discouraged of the situation. I think you just need to
head your mind on something else for a period of time then return to Kdevelop
in full shape!

As a user, I really don;t care when Kdevelop2.0 or 3.0  will be realsed. I
have my Kdevelop 1.4 working almost very well ( except for printing ) and I
can use it and tweak it for all my needs without dying for the next release...
2.0 and 3.0 features are far above of my knowledge skills thus I cannot
enter into development participation.
As a newbie, I can say I am proud of what I did for 1.4 but it is all I could
do for now.

About 1.4 -  Sandy, I still don't have cvs access. I wish to update 1.4 with
some tweaks I made in relations to class properties.

DON'T GIVEUP!

Regards,
Serge Lussier

-