QextMDI, Dockwidget stuff

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 8 17:00:36 UTC 2001

Ralf Nolden wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> in 2.0 there is currently not everything working too well - I've played
> a bit with Falk's code and there's the following issues:
>
> - I think the kwrite lib has to be static.

Hmm...as I said, it decreases the link time of a kdevelop build in case I only changed e.g. ckdevelop.cpp.
That's why I vote for converting each sub project to a shared library. Although it's loaded anyway at runtime.

> We talked about that already
> and the other thing is I get random crashes when it is dynamically
> loaded somewhat.

Those are bugs in the kwrite code, I noticed some pointers are only safe randomly, IMO the crashes are event
timing problems... until now we just had luck and the pointers were valid on access. Just a guess. We should
catch the random crashes and avoid the bad pointer access somehow.

But in after all, if you think, static is better, we can set kwrite to a static lib in the official version.
It's very easy for me to convert it to a dynamic one, locally at home (to speed up the linker)

> - the treedock/ outputdock stuff makes it very hard to destinguish what
> happens with the dockwidgets. Falk, is there a way to use the last way
> and add the treedock /outputdock without calling addToolWindow from
> QextMDI ? It's a good thought to use the code you have in QextMDI but it
> needs some tweaking within kdevelop it seems.

Then we should probably extend the QextMDI functionality... What is the "some tweaking" exactly?
Maybe we could fix it.

> Regards,
>
> Ralf

Ciao,