kdestudio vs. kdevelop

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sat Mar 3 16:23:37 UTC 2001

Omid Givi wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A question just passed through my mind:
>
> Does kdestudio have a chance to be shipped with the following versions of
> KDE? If not, no problem at all! ;-) If yes, have we thought about this? We
> should of course take care not to loose any popularity at that moment,
> although we have already a start pull of the matter (with kdevelop 1.4
> shipped with kde2.1).

That was the question why we made 1.4. It cost us nerves and time but it
was worth it. Without 1.4 it might have been on the long run that
kdestudio would have shipped. I have build up close connections with the
KDE team as the others are doing, too; besides I get some more info on
all subjects.

Currently, we don't have to care for kdestudio anymore that much but we
have to stick with KDE, too. That is why we need some innovations to go
into kdevelop 2.0 such as code-completion even if it's originally from
KDEstudio. In the end we have to proove that our software is at the same
level as VC++, not only kdestudio :-) this is what KDE development on
the long term is about I guess, together with really konquering the
desktop.

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org