.toc redesign

Thomas Fromm tf at tfromm.com
Fri Jul 20 10:33:01 UTC 2001

On Friday 20 July 2001 12:06, you wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jul 2001, Thomas Fromm wrote:
>
> First, what I haven't mentioned before, I think you're mixing
> up the 'table of contents' and the index. The table of contents
> is for presenting a set of documentation in a systematical way.
> It's shown in the documentation tree widget. The index is an
> alphabetical, searchable list of identifiers. It's currently
> available via 'find in index' in the help menu and is a separate
> dialog (but that's not the only way to present it. Qt's assistant
> uses a tab in the sidebar for it). In the Python and PHP tocs
> and indices the difference is obvious (and it indicates that the
> respective documentation is really well-structured :-) In the
> KDE case, it happens that the documentation tree shows the list
> of classes; but that is essentially because there is no useful
> overview documentation for KDE. I think for Qt we should add
> topics like 'Geometry management' and 'Internationalization' to
> the documentation tree. Anyway, I think it's important to dis-
> tinguish these different concepts.

ok, but i think pump up the current .toc format is anyway needed.
(with more informations we can design the tree better)

> I don't think it's feasible to expect all authors of extensions
> to distribute fine-grained symbol information in a standard format,
> at least not in the forseeable future. Maybe that works for PHP,
> but e.g. the Perl community is so widespread and has so many
> manpage and vi purists that it just won't happen. But that's not
> an insurmountable problem: this information can be found completely
> dynamically. Type in 'pydoc:Tkinter' or 'perldoc:functions/grep' as
> url in Konqueror for examples :-) Unfortunately this can be very
> slow. Maybe one can use a (binary?) cache for this and either let
> the user regenerate the cache from time to time or use timestamps
> of the directories where extensions are stored
> (like /usr/lib/perl5/5.00503).

hm. well. then it would be better to think about the communication with the
language parts and the doc tree, that every language can build and own style.

> For other languages (maybe PHP, but certainly C, C++) your xml
> idea is certainly a good one. That's why I suggested to take a
> look at doxygen's tag files. IIRC they contain a lot of the infor-
> mation of your example. It's actively developed and its author
> is very responsive, so maybe you could reuse this format or dis-
> cuss any needed extensions with him. Last year it was proposed
> that kdelibs switch to doxygen, but somehow this attempt got
> stuck :-(

ok, we'll have a look at doxygen (hope thats not so confusing like docbook ;)

regards,
tf