PATCH: dbg won't show nested values

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Thu Jan 25 18:55:36 UTC 2001

John Birch wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The data passed into gdb when expanding some nested values (on the watch tab)
> was incorrect, supplying some of the intermediate placeholder types rather
> than the actual member names. ie "this.<KMainWindow>.<QMainWindow>.d" rather
> than "this.d".
>
> However, this bug is strange as it should not be working properly in previous
> versions! Before applying, can you test to see if this is a problem on your
> machine, because it may be caused by my cvs snapshot of gdb. :(
>
> The easiest way to test is to create a normal app and place a breakpoint on
> the constructor of the derived app class. Then expand "this" variable, then
> <KMainWindow> then <QMainWindow> then <QObject> then senderObjects and its
> children. Any (all) of these may fail and display some odd looking gdb
> message. If they do, then this patch should fix the problems.
>
> This also cleans up a display problem with some classes that look like
> QStrings, but arn't, that causes the dbg to ask for a displayable string that
> doesn't exist from gdb.

Just tested it with kdevelop 1.3 and 1.4+patch. I have no change here in
the varviewer, I can expand down to the senderObjects which then says
<incomplete type>. My gdb version is 5.0 from SuSE 7.1 beta 6.

Any other has a gdb 4.18 around which is pretty standard now on older
distros ?
Otherwise, just commit ;-)

Ralf

--
The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it. Oscar Wilde

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org