Non-ascii characters in kdevelop.pot

Ralf Funken rfunken at web.de
Mon Jan 22 07:34:21 UTC 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Erik K. Pedersen" <epedersen at stny.rr.com>
To: <rfunken at kdevelop.de>
Sent: Monday, January 22, 2001 4:47 AM
Subject: Non-ascii characters in kdevelop.pot

> The non-ascii characters are the following 6
>
> Switches to the KDE 2 Developer´s Guide Handbook
>                                               ^
> In the path you´ve given
>                      ^
> and which  are  applied---every­ thing  interesting about how make decides
>                                                ^
>
> processing.  This may be  use­ ful  for  tracking down errors from
>                                           ^
> doesn´t exist anymore.
>         ^
> o´clock
>  ^
>
> I hope I have solved the other problem. I noticed there is the same
problem
> in say the Norwegian translation, it does not compile
>
> msgfmt -v kdevelop.po
> field `Project-Id-Version' still has initial default value
> kdevelop.po:3683: parse error
> kdevelop.po:7753: parse error
> kdevelop.po:7759: parse error
> kdevelop.po:7765: parse error
> kdevelop.po:7771: parse error
> kdevelop.po:7787: parse error
> kdevelop.po:7793: parse error
> kdevelop.po:7810: parse error
> found 9 fatal errors
>
> that is something that happened once in the mergerocess and persists until
> the translator fixes kdevelop.po

Hi,

The ASCII codes for the characters are, in order of appearance : 6F, 76, 74,
72, 65, B4. As far as I know these are all in standard range except for B4
which is extended ASCII. OK, it should be 27 instead of B4 (wrong key used
by the programmer, should be ' instead of`´) but I can't think of any editor
or tool that isn't capable of handling 16 bit. The ycp error was caused by
data loss during transmission, because I attached the file to an e-mail sent
it to Thomas Diehl. The file I committed yesterday should be clear. I told
Thomas some weeks ago, that the non ASCII codes have to cleared in the po's,
not in the pot and are the the result of us using ISO in the KDE 1 versions.
I have no problems creating po's simply using "make package messages" (Yes,
it's as difficult as that). No recode or so needed. Just use kbabel to edit
the po files and save as utf-8.

I told Thomas and Ralf Nolden yesterday and I repeat here that it's sad but
true, but everything went fine, when we did the whole job ourselves. I
really have a lot of better things to do, than to update libs and things the
whole weekend only to discuss about ASCII Codes. It was fun until the
release of 1.3 but now that i18 stuff has turned out to be a pain in the
arse. I said I'd do the po's for 1.4 and so I'll do, but after that I won't
be available for the i18n stuff anymore. Maybe I'll find the time do
contribute something different in the future, but to be honest, I'm so short
on time now, I can't imagine how to do it.
Anyway, I'd like to thank you guys for this really great time. It was both,
a pleasure and an honour to play in your team. I regret I didn't get to know
more of you personally, John : Sorry, I still didn't make it for dinner, but
maybe the invitation still stands? :-)).

Regards,

Ralf