TODO

Anatoly Korzun anatoly at callsys.co.uk
Mon Dec 17 09:21:04 UTC 2001

Hi,

I've been using KDevelop for several months already
(along with some other tools), and I'd like to thank
its authors for the remarkable product.

KDevelop 2 has brought lots of improvements
(though it seems to have some new bugs too:-).
Below are my suggestions about features,
which I believe could make KDevelop even better:

1. Something like a workspace and projects,
or a project and subprojects. I mean that the
final project may consist of a number of subprojects,
which may share different pieces of common code.
Programmer should be able to set the dependencies
between projects and set separate properties
(e.g. compiler and linker flags) for each project.
You can see a similar thing in MS Visual Studio.

2. More control over creating static and shared
libraries. KDevelop 2 makes a good step to better
managing shared libraries, but there are still
unresolved issues (in my opinion, of course:-).
E.g., you cannot place (without manually editing
Makefile.am) your binaries somewhere in a desired
place outside the directory where they are created.
Another example of inconvenience is the
uncontrollable generation of static libraries
out of each directory with a source code, even
if all you need is just a single binary file.
It may lead to unresolved references between
symbols defined in various branches of your
source directory tree. It seems currently the
only workaround in this situation is to create
shared libraries.

3. Something that would easily allow (without
hacking Makefiles) creating custom build steps
for certain files (e.g. running flex, bison, awk,
sed, etc.)

4. More choice (or better to say at least some
choice) in selecting compiler. I have a big respect
to GCC, but sometimes you HAVE to use something
different. E.g., GCC doesn't support 64-bit.
You can see a similar thing in DDD debugging tool.

5. Some improvements in working with CVS. Currently
you cannot add a new directory to CVS inside KDevelop
(at least I was unable:-), you have to do in a
command line, and then return to KDevelop to add
new files. I also don't see any way to check out
any new stuff to the existing project. Ideally
it's good to do with CVS everything you can do
from a command line while staying in KDevelop.

6. Some tool for creating .pkg (rpm doesn't exist
everywhere:-) would be appreciated.

7. Finally something that may look like profaning
the holy thing. I mean automake and autoconfig.
For me (a person who had spent most time on Windows:-)
it seems that the whole approach creates more
problems than solves. Even not mentioning an awful
mess of (absolutely unnecessary for me) files
in a project directory, the approach doesn't give
you any flexibility in placing your source and
project files in the directories you wish. Right
now I am porting a medium-size project (some hundreds
files) from Win32 to Unix. Besides other expected problems
I had to re-organize the whole directory structure.
As a comparison I tried Sun Forte, it has its minuses
(including its price:-), but at least it smoothly
accepted the existed directory structure.
So, why not using just a PLAIN MAKEFILE?
Correct me if I am wrong.

I realize that your product is like a gift to other
people, so no one can demand anything from you.
I also guess that different people ask you for
different things, including support for other
languages.
However I kindly ask you to focus at C++.

Best regards,
Anatoly