Plugins mean extensibility (Re: Kate part in KDevelop-2 working)

Joseph Wenninger jowenn at bigfoot.com
Sat Dec 15 01:02:03 UTC 2001

Hi

> About vim and emacs: the kvim project seems to be very promising and its
> author is a total "bonehead", because they are listing KDevelop as one of
> the projects their part would find a use in. I haven't gotten around to
> taking a closer look, but given the small size of vim core I assume it will
> be a lighter and *definitely* more featureful editor than kate. I'm not a
> vim user, but I've asked around and found that vim features an "easy" mode
> similar in usage to other text editors. If I can get it to compile I will
> ask kvim people to tell us if it's easy to use as a part in gideon.
>
> I personally have other editors in mind, but notably NOT emacs because
>   1) porting it is a PITA
>   2) it's BIG
> (tho' xemacs *is* my editor of choice for coding)
>
> Why would people want editors other than kate? The reason is simple, kate
> may never fit _everybody_. So if people like it they use a kate part, if
> they don't they use an X part.

I speak here as a user/developer (but not as a kate developer)

The big problem with all those open source projects, even those which I  work
at, ist that the developers only code for fun, but don't really think about
usability, GUI design, ...... And this is the point, why will loose in the
long run and Microsoft (or other companies, which behave like them) will win.
Even though their products are instable and have many design mistakes, they
concentrate on only one thing and at least try to write usefull integrated
applications. Look at our open source products. Look at gideon, or other
IDEs, office packages, .... . They are all patchwork. Even they have good
underlying technologies and are mostly quite stable, they are only patchwork,
because we try to be over extensable. Look at gideon, there is now real GUI
concept in it, at least I, and some of my friends (not KDE developers) see it
that way. Microsoft offers one editor, which is fully integrated in ther
IDEs, and always supports all features and even though many people think
working with those IDE's is a pain, they use it, look at Borland and others,
they all loose against Microsoft.

All in all,I look indifferently at these editor interface quarrels, they are
just a good example of wide spread, instead of concentrated efforts, and
that's why Open Source, despite all other opinions will fail in the long run.
Be it office packages, editors, IDEs, ...... .

A person using vim, or pico (like me) won't use an IDE anyways, because they
think it's bloated, even if their editor could be embedded. (Would someone be
interested in writing a pico integration ?).

I just want to say: Stop believing in over extensibility, which is not really
needed, concentrate on the core. Gideon is a mess: many plugins, but not
really a usefull common GUI.

(I'm not that good in English, but I hope, you'll understand though what I
mean)

Kind regards
Joseph Wenninger