Fwd: Re: Kate part in KDevelop-2 working

Christoph Cullmann chrcul at studcs.uni-sb.de
Thu Dec 13 08:43:04 UTC 2001

>As it says in the subject line, the kate part is now working in
>KDevelop-2.1 (branch KDEVELOP_2_BRANCH) with the current implementation
>of KTextEditor and Kate in KDE-3.
>
>I must say, this is quite an awkward interface that we have here. It
>takes a long time to really figure out which functionality is "hidden"
>where and the split between KTextEditor and Kate is more than quirky.
>
>I realize there was a lenthy discussion about this already, but let me
>say, this isnt anything that people outside, i.e. application
>developers, are going to pick up with lot's of enthusiasm. It is just
>plain complicated. KTextEditor::View and KTextEditor::Document should
>do what the respective counterparts of Kate do now.
>
>I suggest to do the "right thing" and move the implementation of
>KTextEditor into kdelibs before the KDE-3 release and before this
>interface is going to be frozen again for a long time.
>
>I believe that an easy to use editor interface could be a nice
>enhancement to KDE and would contribute to its popularity as a
>development platform.
Yeah, good idea, but now we are back to the old question :(
Do we want a generic interface or something like the kate interfaces for
doc/view ?

My first try was the kate interfaces stuff, which nobody wanted to use (not
really nobody, but most people was complaining the whole time it is to kate
specific, what is true, because it IS a interface for kate) and now we have
build up the ktexteditor stuff (for more generic use) which is a "bit" bloated
throught the multiple inheritance stuff (but the other approach with an
interface class for each interface in the doc/view is bloated too).

Now the question: WHAT DO YOU WANT ???
(Mean not you Roland, know what you want, and thats all right, mean the other
kdevelopers and people sitting around there  :)

I just don't want to do the whole thingy again backwards, and than, after have
done that (which would be just a thing of 1 hour or so) get the complain I
should revert all the changes.

Therefor would be nice to get a real Yes/No/Want something else statement from
the other kate developers and kdevelopers (or any other guy who thinks he
should say something :)

cu
Christoph

P.S.
If somebody wants to answer me private, please send mail to cullmann at kde.org,
this mail here is only coming from temporaly account.