W32/BadTrans at MM worm circulated by the list

Phil Cairns philcairns at dingoblue.net.au
Wed Dec 12 22:49:02 UTC 2001

Unlike many of you, I guess, I work mostly from Windows, and follow this
list out of interest.

The list had a worm sneak through, and because I:
    a) didn't have the virus service running,
    b) ignored the virus warning on the incoming message,
    c) am not running the latest version of my mail reader/browser, and
    d) am too smart^H^H^H^H^Hcurious for my own good
I managed to get myself infected.

If this unlikely combination of conditions manages to occur to some other
poor soul, get offline now. Get a different computer, and get online there
instead.

The cure is simple: visit
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.b@mm.ht
ml
for info about the worm, and
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/venc/data/w32.badtrans.b@mm.re
moval.tool.html
for a cleaner-uperer. Download the fixer, copy it to a floppy, and in the
infected machine, run the fixer from floppy disk.

Yes ... *sigh* ... I know.

Phil.