Kdevelop_hungups_with_kde_2.2.2_on_Mandrake_8.1

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 4 18:08:04 UTC 2001

Andrea,
I have it now running.

Here is what my suggestion is to you and other Mandrake users.

Check out the latest code from cvs on the branch KDE_2_2_BRANCH. That's
the stable version, there are some new features going into this version
but it is generally considered stable.
Do a

cvs -d<CVSROOT> co -r KDE_2_2_BRANCH kdevelop

replace <CVSROOT> with the appropriate server name (find it on the
developer.kde.org) website.

Then change into that directory and get the correct admin directory
cd kdevelop
\rm -rf admin
cvs -d<CVSROOT> co -r KDE_2_2_BRANCH kde-common
cd kde-common
mv admin ..
cd ..
cvs release -d kde-common

This will get you a copy of the correct admin directory. Now do

make -f admin/Makefile.common cvs-clean
make -f Makefile.cvs
./configure --enable-debug=full
make
make install

This will install kdevelop into /usr/local/kde. Now remove the old
kdevelop package that comes with Mandrake-8.1 by doing a
rpm -e kdevelop
and open a new shell so it wont look for it at the old position any
longer

To start kdevelop you must issue the following command

KDEDIR=/usr/local/kde LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/kde/lib kdevelop

This will start the new version succesfully and the new version works.
I have tried it one minute ago.

Good luck.

Roland

PS: your gripe with adding features to the stable branch is correct but
we are still in a transition period to a new code base.