kate part (was: Re: fileselector plugin)

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 29 17:55:19 UTC 2001

Yes!!! Cullmann, you are back from vacation... 6 weeks traveling in
europe, what a joy to be a student ;-)

--- cullmann at moldware.com wrote:

> You are right ;)
> To put the katepart into kdelibs, we must split kate into 2 parts:
>  - the katepart consisting of (I hope I am right)
>         kate/document/*
>         kate/view/kateview.*
>         kate/view/kateviewdialog.*
>         kate/view/kateundohistory.*
>         kate/view/kateviewIface.h
>         kate/factory/*
>         kate/interfaces/document.h
>         kate/interfaces/view.h
>         the most stuff in kate/data
>
>   - the kate app consisting of the other stuff ;)

Yes, I have only minimal knowledge of kate but that sounds very
logical.

> The katepart files should be moved into a libkatepart in kdelibs
> to be avaible for other programs (like kate, kdevelop, konqui, ...).

Exactly, but will the older TextEditor interface not be better have
tobe integrated into Kate::View and Kate::Document?

> But one big problem with that: We must change how kate manage the
> katedocuments/views.
> Kate must use the BC compatible view/document interface and not the
> kateview.h and
> katedocument.h headers or kate won't work with different kdelibs
> versions.

I dont think this would be that difficult to do, I have managed to do
this for kdevelop and I guess we could do it again for kate. I am
willing to help with this, if you help me making a Fortran highlighting
style and a special Fortran background for the editor window :-)

No seriously, I dont think this is a big deal. The appropriate part of
the kdelibs could be backported to KDE-2.2.

Roland

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and