another prob with kde-common/admin and autoconf 2.52

Michael Matz matz at kde.org
Tue Aug 28 08:20:45 UTC 2001

Hi,

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, Gioele Barabucci wrote:

> I'm using latest 2.2 kde-common/admin dir in a Qt project created with
> kdevelop 2.0 (from 2.2)
>
> *** Creating configure
> configure.in:35: error: AC_REQUIRE: cannot be used outside of an
> m4_defun'd macro
> configure.in:35: KDE_CHECK_EXTRA_LIBS is required by...
> configure.in:35: the top level

This indeed is wrong usage of autoconf.  But there can be two reasons:
1) kdevelop really is creating such a configure.in by a bogus
   configure.in.in.  In that case it shouldn't AC_REQUIRE() that macro,
   but instead just call it (or provide a wrapper macro which AC_REQUIRE()
   the above one, and is itself called, which would have the same semantic
   as a toplevel AC_REQUIRE.  I don't know for sure, but I can't really
   imagine kdevelop doing this, as KDE_CHECK_EXTRA_LIBS() is internal.
2) a bogus aclocal.m4.  Last night an interesting bracket mismatch was
   fixed in acinclude.m4.in, specifically mentioning autoconf 2.52.  It
   may be that problem, and it's enough if you update kde-common.

> the code is
>
> AC_REQUIRE([KDE_CHECK_EXTRA_LIBS])

And this is line 35?  Indeed bogus.

Ciao,