tmake(qmake)/automake (was:Re: New AppWizard Dialog)

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Mon Aug 13 12:20:37 UTC 2001

On Mon, 13 Aug 2001, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> affected to match that and then do the package.... Anyway, it also depends if
> there is a real difference in what we can do with automake and what we can do
> with tmake, so if a converter can be possible that translates both formats
> into each other.

A converter is not possible because the two systems are very different.
automake supports several targets per directory, tmake does not. automake
assigns an installation directory for each target, tmake does not cope
with this issue at all. automake supports convenience libraries and
library dependencies via libtool, tmake does not.

Anyway, I don't see how converting from one build system to another
helps you with packaging issues. If you mean source packages, tar is
your friend :-) Otherwise, you have to write .spec files or debian/rules
files or whatever which is independent of the build system. OTOH, perhaps
you don't mean packaging but installation? For that, you have a write
a little (shell) script with some 'cp' commands. Fore more integration
into the IDE, you could add a little GUI frontend for the installation
directories, or even better integrate this into the project management.
The corresponding information would have to be stored separately from
the .pro files.

Bernd.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«