A final word and what to do now (was: A final word (was:Re: What's up and what's hot))

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Fri Aug 10 08:16:20 UTC 2001

On Friday, 10. August 2001 09:21, you wrote:
> On Fri, Aug 10, 2001 at 12:00:23AM +0200, F at lk Brettschneider wrote:
> > Ralf Nolden wrote:
> > >
> > > Ok, I'd say that is an option. Two questions:
> > > a) how about removing the KDockWidget stuff ? that is buggy as hell and
> > > bloats kdeui, now that Qt contains a Dockwidget as well. Could it be
> > > made that QextMDI uses that ?
> >
> > QDockWidget cannot be docked as tabbed windows. It would mean all
> > tool-views cannot be tabbed, TabPage mode would be impossible. :-(
> > So I think we're stucked to KDockWidget&Co.
>
> If that's the only reason then we might try to file a bug report :-)
>
> What's the exact problem with tabbing and QDockWidget/QDockArea?

Erm, yes please. I have another suggestion as well. I don't know if you know
it, but from the usability and look&feel point of view, having dockwidgets
inside a tabwidget is a strict NoNo. The functionality it wants to provide is
ok, that's what VC offers as well, but not with dock widgets in their
tabwidgets. That looks a lot nicer and still can be handled ok. I didn't have
a look recently, but I think it's just the drag handle that's missing. Can
anyone with a VC copy have a look how that is solved ?  I *really* would like
to throw KDockWidget out of kdeui, Falk, not only because it's a bit buggy in
itself but for the reason that it duplicates the Qt functionality and KDE 2.0
was supposed to provide shrinked KDE libraries; instead they got bloated
more. With KDE 3, we should throw out and clean up this mess and not add
more. Specifically KDockWidget; though that means that a lot of apps need to
be changed, but they could use a copy of kdockwidget for a while until they
switch to QDockWidget. As much as I like nice widgets and their
functionality, it doesn't always mean that it helps the user here. I CC
kde-core-devel for this, so maybe other people can comment on that as well.

Ralf

Ralf Nolden
nolden at kde.org

The K Desktop Environment	The KDevelop Project
http://www.kde.org		http://www.kdevelop.org

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«