branch for kdevelop

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Tue Aug 7 22:20:43 UTC 2001

Waldo,

--- Waldo Bastian <bastian at kde.org> wrote:

> Feel free to make a new branch but what about GIDEON then?

I did try that but failed due to isufficient write permissions to
/home/kde, maybe my cvs settings are wrong.

> I thought
> GIDEON
> was supposed to be part of KDE 3.0?

Afaik, this is still the case. Unfortunately, the group of developers
has split into two fractions. A few people, including me, have decided
to integrate kate as the text editor into the current codebase. Ralf
agreed that this could be released as KDevelop-2.2 in time with
KDE-2.2.1.

> If you are now talking about
> KDevelop 2.1
> I'm getting this strong feeling that gideon will never be released
> and die an
> untimely death.

I do not think so.

> You might want to reconsider your priorities.

No, you dont know what the priorities of the contributing fractions
are. For example, my priority, to have a functional IDE, that best
suits my needs is currently best accomplished by improving
KDevelop-2.0.

> And why
> can't
> you continue to use the KDEVELOP_1_4 branch? Just because of the
> name?

I agree, we could, Ralf thinks it is very confusing to use KDEVEOP_1_4
for new developers, that's why I asked. The more I think about it, the
more I agree with you to leave the name as it is.

Thanks for your input,
Roland

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and