KDevelop editor interfaces - ups

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Sun Apr 29 16:55:16 UTC 2001

Cullmann Christoph wrote:

> Am Samstag, 28. April 2001 19:55 schrieben Sie:
> > On Sat, 28 Apr 2001, Cullmann Christoph wrote:
> > > manager it won'T be usable on any << 1000MHz machine anymore. (like on my
> > > 400er for example KWord in splittscreenmode where it changes the gui if I
> > > switch the view :(((
> >
> > The problem with kword is not that the gui changes but that it gets
> > repaint events with different toolbar sets several times.
> > Because of that, the whole mainwindow is recalculated and repainted
> > several times.
> Even the xmlGUI switch is very slow on slow machines :(

That's probably why it's called a slow machine :-)) Is there a
reasonable rule where you can consider a machine slow ? When I was used
to my P200 I didn't realize things are going faster. It's the
subconscious comparison if you experienced a faster machine. What I
really agree on is a comparison of speed on the same machine with
windows software. The gui on windows seems to be up much faster than on
Linux but that may also be because almost noone uses hdparm :-)
Seriously, the gui speed is really annoying sometimes in direct
comparison but XP and .Net will result in a *much* better comparison for
us :-) Saw that yesterday on the Hannover Messe on some demo's. Visual
Studio .net is sloooow as hell ( I played with it for *2* minutes and
had a complete hang so I got off of that machine as fast as possible
:-))

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org