ctags one more...

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 17 17:28:53 UTC 2001

--- Richard Dale <Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> In my opinion, a feature like this would not be 'built into' KDevelop
> 3.0, it
> should be added by means of a python script creating a custom menu
> item or
> similar.

I dont think this would be a smart thing to do. Agreed the generation
of the ctags file is debatable but that's just a convenience thing
anyway. The important thing is a "Goto Definition/Declaration"
function. And for that you need to build a search database which you
have to keep in memory. Yes, you can do that w/ python but then, why
bother writing anythin in C++ anymore.

> But it would be a good example to test out the scripting
> (the real
> work would be adding any missing cabapilites to that) if you did
> ctags in that
> way.

I, at least will pass on that opportunity :-). Ctags is a feature that
many text editors have built in. In fact it should probably better go
in kwrite's codebase.

You seem to doubt the usefulness of ctags in the first place. Let me
say a bit about that.

There are many other languages that Java and o.o. C++ where you dont
have classes. Therefore class parsers and class trees are only of very
restricted use when trying to undestand 20 year old legacy code.

Also there a codes with millions of lines with everything from Algol
over FORTRAN, C, C++, and all written in "spaghetti code" fashion. No
way you can manage a large codebase w/o good crossreferencing tools.
Ctags is one tool that help tremendeously and cross referencing is one
of the major selling points of VC++.

Roland

> This is a feature not everyone would want it - only if using a ctags
> driven editor, one of these 'VIM' KParts perhaps.
>
> As far as I know, having studied the code, it doesn't gather any more
> info
> than the KDevelop class parser does already.

Yeah but about 10 times faster at that too. KDevelop loading itself
takes about 45 seconds here on my Sparc. We've had the discussion a
while ago.

Let me work on this a bit more and you'll see where this can be going.

Roland

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and