KDialogBase

Daniel Molkentin danielmo at bonn-online.com
Tue Apr 17 11:27:42 UTC 2001

Moin Bernd!

On Tue, 17 Apr 2001, Bernd Gehrmann wrote:

> Qt designer is a tool. You can use a tool in a way that makes sense,
> and you can misuse a tool. You can use a hammer to put a nail into
> the wall, but you can also use it to beat your thumb green and blue.
>
> Unfortunately, designer is heavily misused in KDE. Many dialogs made
> with it are completely unusable. They lack accelerators, they don't
> have buddies set, they don't set initial focus, they don't set minimal
> widths in a font-independent way, they have nested group boxes or
> group boxes that group nothing, or are in other ways unusable without
> a mouse.
>
> It's nice if we have dialogs properly designed with a dialog
> editor. But we should certainly not encourage people to replace
> dialogs that work and are usable with stuff that sucks with
> the argument that designer is cool.

Sure, but the bad design is a "bad habid" caused by uncareful designer
users. The designer saves a lot of work and makes it easy to tweak
dialogs afterwards. However it _doesn't_ replace a careful UI QA
It is the programmers' task to take care of this. Generally, I
would always provote designer usage. But: Everyone should know that
the designer is _not_ a KPaint or GIMP replacement but a serious
development tool that helps in certain cases such als layout
mangement,etc, but doesn't replace a programmers brain.

I'd like to see as much stuff done in designer als possible.
A good example is kcontrol, where I am currently working. T

here are many flaws in terms of design and userfriendlyness in
there (not always caused by designer misusage) and (thanks to the
designer), at least the designer-generated dialogs are easy to
fix, even for ppl like tackat, who know a lot about UI design
(also about stuff like buddies and accelerators) but don't
acutally code.

Maybe a small "how to use the designer in KDE Projects" would be
good...

Greetings,

</daniel>

-