KDialogBase

Matthias Hoelzer-Kluepfel mhk at caldera.de
Tue Apr 17 11:10:37 UTC 2001

Am Dienstag 17 April 2001 13:02 schrieb Bernd Gehrmann:

> Unfortunately, designer is heavily misused in KDE. Many dialogs made
> with it are completely unusable. They lack accelerators, they don't
> have buddies set, they don't set initial focus, they don't set minimal
> widths in a font-independent way, they have nested group boxes or
> group boxes that group nothing, or are in other ways unusable without
> a mouse.
>
> It's nice if we have dialogs properly designed with a dialog
> editor. But we should certainly not encourage people to replace
> dialogs that work and are usable with stuff that sucks with
> the argument that designer is cool.

That is right, Bernd, but the worst thing you can end up with is an unusable
dialog coded manually, as then to fix things like accels or buddies takes a
lot more than loading the dialog into designer and setting the right
properties.

As a rule of thumb, I think one should create new dialogs with designer. And
if I have to change something in an old one, I personally would probably redo
it with designer. But to change an old one without adding something seems
like a waste of time.

Bye,
Matthias.

-