KDialogBase

Ralf Nolden nolden at kde.org
Fri Apr 13 13:15:11 UTC 2001

Falk Brettschneider wrote:
> > But since the window menu is all tied into QextMDI this is kind of
> > not changable, or Falk ?
> That's not true.
> QextMDI suggests you to use QextMdiMainFrm::windowMenu() that you can
> insert in your main menu but you can ignore it and use your own
> windowMenu() or you can override it in your inherited mainwidget class
> since QextMdiMainFrm::windowMenu() is virtual public or protected.
>
> > have to agree KDE-wide for a standard on MDI because this *is* confusing
> > the user.
> IMO not a user who is a developer.
Well, I wouldn't consider all the beginners to be developers, they are
going to become developers. I've shown some guys on IRC how to use
kdevelop and it's very easy with a few steps but then you also see where
the barrier of understanding a GUI design is. It should be so intuitive
to figure out what it does straight-forward, what is called a
usability-study. At GUADEC, mr. Adler from Eazel (ok, I think those did
make some mistakes in usability with nautilus :-) held a talk about
usability studies - self explaining, most of it, which we also regarded
since some years. We should stick with that IMO, so if the window menu
is customizable and we can change the use of it, I would like to put
away the choices about the modes and such, so it only contains the
general, most used options for arranging windows plus the list of open
files. The rest should be out of it, the modes for MDI-mode change
should go into a configuration dialog or into a subitem of the "view"
menu for usability. That's what the view menu is good for  :-))

cheers,

Ralf
--
Finally, even I have to admit that being myself was the best thing
that ever could have happened to me. - Le Grand Charmeur

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

nolden at kde.org