Code completion in KDEStudio

Richard Dale Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk
Thu Apr 12 16:53:07 UTC 2001

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, you wrote:
> On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Richard Dale wrote:
> > Well, yes we have a pretty good class parser, and in Objective-C and Java for
> > KDevelop 3.0, not just C++ any more. I don't know about ctags Objective-C
> > support. I suggested ctags, before I'ld actually studied the KDEStudio code
> > properly. It doesn't use ctags, but it does have a header called 'ctags.h', (and
> > some guy in a discussion said it used that)
>
> You can call me Bernd ;-) I think I've mixed up two issues at that
> time. ctags is only used as source parser for the class tree, and
> it's amazingly fast - the class tree is updated in real time. The
> code completion is a separate issue.
>
> Oh, and yes, ctags.h belongs to ctags, even if that is not obvious.
> The kdestudio author has some 'policy' that each time he uses code
> not written by himself, the first thing he does is to remove the
> author's name and all copyright notices from the source.
Hmm... I'm not sure about that idea, but I have to say I quite like KDEStudio,
and I'll go back and work out how the ctags stuff works.

> > which had sent me down the wrong
> > track. I like the idea of using QDom as a class store though, like KDEStudio -
> > it seemed to work well (although I prefer the KDevelop parser).
>
> As in-memory representation? Why? DOM trees blow up memory
> use significantly compared to plain C++ objects, and it's
> also slower. I see the point of saving the class store to
> disk when the project is closed, so it can be reloaded fast
> when the project is reopened - this is currently annoyingly
> slow. Jonas once wrote the code for using libgdbm as
> database for the class store, and later switched to the
> Berkeley database, but I'm not sure how far he got. At least
> the code is still there, but commented out :-)
You've sold it to me, we will use the KDevelop class store for code completion
if we do it. But it is becoming a matter of honour is it not? I don't think
think code completion is all that useful, but I now regard it as an A1 urgent
priority for KDevelop 3.0? ;-)

-- Richard

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«