Code completion in KDEStudio

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Thu Apr 12 08:58:20 UTC 2001

On Thu, 12 Apr 2001, Richard Dale wrote:
> Well, yes we have a pretty good class parser, and in Objective-C and Java for
> KDevelop 3.0, not just C++ any more. I don't know about ctags Objective-C
> support. I suggested ctags, before I'ld actually studied the KDEStudio code
> properly. It doesn't use ctags, but it does have a header called 'ctags.h', (and
> some guy in a discussion said it used that)

You can call me Bernd ;-) I think I've mixed up two issues at that
time. ctags is only used as source parser for the class tree, and
it's amazingly fast - the class tree is updated in real time. The
code completion is a separate issue.

Oh, and yes, ctags.h belongs to ctags, even if that is not obvious.
The kdestudio author has some 'policy' that each time he uses code
not written by himself, the first thing he does is to remove the
author's name and all copyright notices from the source.

> which had sent me down the wrong
> track. I like the idea of using QDom as a class store though, like KDEStudio -
> it seemed to work well (although I prefer the KDevelop parser).

As in-memory representation? Why? DOM trees blow up memory
use significantly compared to plain C++ objects, and it's
also slower. I see the point of saving the class store to
disk when the project is closed, so it can be reloaded fast
when the project is reopened - this is currently annoyingly
slow. Jonas once wrote the code for using libgdbm as
database for the class store, and later switched to the
Berkeley database, but I'm not sure how far he got. At least
the code is still there, but commented out :-)

Bernd.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«