Code completion in KDEStudio

Roland Krause rokrau at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 11 23:41:43 UTC 2001

Richard,
I am working on creating and loading a ctags file for the purpose of
having "Goto Definition" and "Goto Declaration" options (upon RMC) in
KDevelop.

You can probably use this code which parses the ctags file into a QDict
based datastructure.

I dont think that using ctags will get you a complete class tree but I
may be wrong.

Anyway, exuberant ctags, which I use for this purpose it *fast*, much
faster than a compiler can ever be and it has a lot of information
("extensions") about classes, structures, private and public members
and so on. I've been reading the manual back and forth a couple of
times now and I think it may get us a good step further w/o KDEStudio
code.

What I do still not understand is the following:

We already have a class parser and that class parser works pretty good.
Why don't we use it for code completion and replace it later if
something better comes along?

Somebody on this list pointed out that the problem is not the class
parser but to parse the file the user is working on and then again
someone else claimed that this was not the problem at all but the
problem was to parse the class tree of the project fast enough.

Maybe someone should try to state the problem cleanly first. I am sure
it is possible to solve it rapidly then.

Roland

--- Richard Dale <Richard_Dale at tipitina.demon.co.uk> wrote:
> I read that the 'Legendary Lost KStudio Completion Code' used ctags.

Now that's a fine acronym "LLKCC" ;-)

> Is there a
> way we use ctags to get the candidate methods and load them into a
> KCompletionObject (which I assume from the name is the right widget
> to use)?

What, btw. is a KCompletionObject? Is that documented somewhere?

Roland

=====
--
Roland Krause
In the garage of life there are mechanics and