config stuff

Falk Brettschneider gigafalk at yahoo.com
Tue Sep 12 21:44:37 UTC 2000

Hallo,

Bernd Gehrmann wrote:

> On Tue, 12 Sep 2000, Falk Brettschneider wrote:
> >
> > As you said, readConfig is based on a hierarchy of object names. I'm not
> > sure what happens when one component is replaced/removed/added from
> > kdevelop. Somehow there will branches in the object tree which won't fit
> > on readConfig(). Likey the default docking will help here... Could
> > work... yeah.
>
> Branches in the object tree? Don't know what you mean here.

A branch is a part of a tree. I meant what happens when some components have
been deinstalled but their part of the object tree still remains? Or what is
with new installed components (I suppose the default docking will work then)?

> Now I remember what was really ugly: KConfig is too primitive
> for a component-based application. If you give each components
> its own group, then all the component can store is key/value
> pairs - KConfig doesn't have nested groups. A workaround is
> to use multiple groups (the doc tree view is an example), but
> then the whole structure gets lost and the file becomes a
> glorious mess (btw the stuff stored by KDockMainWindow::writeConfig()
> is already an obvious example of such a mess)

It is not supposed to be understood by man... but KDockMainWindow can handle
it well. :-)
I would like to stick to the old-fashioned read/writeConfig concerning to
dockwidgets.

> Can't we use XML+QDom for project files? :-)
> Then one could replace the setupGUI() to components with the pair
>
> void saveConfig(QDomElement element)
> void restoreConfig(QDomElement element)
>
> When a component is added to the project (either by the
> app wizard or by the user through a configuration dialog),
> one could call restoreConfig() with a null element which
> tells the component to create a default gui setup.

Could work but I didn't programmed with QDom and XML before, :-( at the time
I struggle with the Qt network classes. Hell, the new Qt-2.2 stuff gives a
lot to learn...  8-]

> Bernd.

Tschüß,
  F at lk