Brainstorming the debugger problem

Benoit Cerrina Benoit.cerrina at writeme.com
Wed Mar 22 08:11:15 UTC 2000

Hi,
from my experience at work I'd say it would certainly be nice to be able to
set up
another path for the output files (executable and libraries) as well as the
secondary files (object files) especially in case of multiplatform
development.
If a program is developped for several platforms either through cross
compilation or using different machine and an NFS workspace directory it
would be necessary.
In our case a directories at the workspace level called
solaris_a
irix_a
hpux_a
aix_a
nt_a
alpha_a
are created to hold the "runtime view" i.e. all the runtime directory
structures, executables, libs, data files...

In any case, as long as the project management is being rethought I'd
suggest that this type of options should be made available.
One way to do this would be to define an xml format which would contain the
specifics of a type of workspace organisation structure.  New one could be
added easily and the appropriate makefile.am and other automak and autoconf
script could be generated.

Ben