general class design

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Fri Jun 23 09:08:54 UTC 2000

On Fri, 23 Jun 2000, Falk Brettschneider wrote:

> I think it should be sufficient if every plugin gives KDevelopGUI a
> common QWidget* pointer to enable the embedding of the widget in the
> right dockwidget parent. So KDevelopGUI will keep clean from other
> classes (more independent).

Well, the plan is actually that plugins decide themselves about
their name, icon and comment via a .desktop file (see current
version of the KDevelop class).

>     if(w.name()==QString("mainframe"))

BTW, this reminds me that names of widgets (the second
argument of the QWidget and QObject constructs) are
not user-visible and consequently const char*, not QString.
Therefore, I would suggest to make the first argument of
DockMainWindow::createDockWidget() a const char* as
well, to avoid conversions to and from UTF16.

> What do you think about this approach?
> I think in this way at least the GUI class will keep independent from
> the other special ones.

This is certainly a good idea.

Bernd.