Oops, I did it again....

John Birch John.Birch at xtra.co.nz
Wed Jun 21 00:25:20 UTC 2000

On Wed, 21 Jun 2000, you wrote:
> Hi guys,
(snip)

> Second is that when using the debugger in KDevelop 1.2 under Unixware I
> get a hang and the following console output:
>
> konsole_grantpty:
> cannot determine the name of device.
> kdevelop: chown pty failed for
> device /dev/ptyp5::/dev/ttyp5
> This means the session can be eaves dropped. Make sure konsole_grantpty
> is installed and setuid root.
>
> It´s there, in KDEDIR and set to root.sys. chowning to root.root didn´t
> help ;-) Any idea ?

No idea. :-)

The code doing this is very similar to konsole code. In theory, if konsole
works so should kdevelop. But yours is not the first report that this doesn't
work :(

Does the debugger work if you select "Enable separate terminal for
application i/o" in the debugger options?

Are the /dev/pty links to real "devices", or?
What priv is the devs,  "crw-rw----   1 root     tty",  or?

Why doesn't it use ptmx / pts? Do these exist on unixware? What priv are
these?

When you say "hang", do you mean that you have to kill kdevelop - or just the
debugger part? (ie does the stop button get kdevelop going again?)

Does konsole complain, if you run konsole from konsole?

Can you send me a copy of Unixware?

What is the meaning of life? Is there life after kdevelop? When is it my turn
to be abducted by aliens? :-)

jbb