class KDevelop

Bernd Gehrmann bernd at physik.hu-berlin.de
Wed Jun 14 21:21:06 UTC 2000

On Wed, 14 Jun 2000, Sandy Meier wrote:

> But I have an other question: If we want to support more languages such
> fortran, Python,PHP,HTML... we need to implemenent many views  and components as
> plugins. (treeview, new class dlg,plugins without a view.....). Should we use
> KParts for it or just normal C++ plugins with our own Plugin Baseclass? Are
> there disadvantages with KParts? Maybe KParts si only designed for embedding
> applications/documents and not for small plugins like a appwizard plugin?

The main point of KParts is the merging of menubars & toolbars.
Contrary to often heard rumors, there is actually not a single
reference to lt_dlopen or KLibLoader in any KParts::*Part class :-)
The class KParts::Plugin is for plugins, but it is a bit special.
It is mainly for loading _all_ plugins in a certain directory, i.e.
not something you want to implement different language modes with.

What you want is KLibLoader.

Ad-hoc thought: Using KLibLoader, you get from the plugin a
KLanguageModeFactory instance, where KLMF is a class derived
from KLibFactory. The create() method is reimplemented such
that you can ask

  factory->create(this, "", "KDevAppWizard")

or

  factory->create(this, "", "KDevClassParser")

Bernd.