class KDevelop

Ralf Nolden Ralf.Nolden at post.rwth-aachen.de
Wed Jun 14 20:46:50 UTC 2000

Falk Brettschneider wrote:

> Hi Ralf,
>
> What's better in your new approach? What do you want to do?
I´m currently implementing CKDevelop from scratch as KDevelop and then
want to put it to CVS when the UI is complete and the normal slots that
are called by the UI are in at least as frame functions. Then we´ll go
and implement a clean interface to the dockwidget and the MDI stuff
which shouldn´t be too hard, followed by the editor component. I´ve
inherited from KParts::Mainwindow, but I see there will be some
complications with the inheritance of DockMainWindow from KTMainWindow,
not from KParts::MainWindow. Could you change that so we can use KParts
all over KDevelop to make embedding of other applications such as
Konqueror for the browsing, Painting apps for icons and pictures and so
forth possible, also Cervesia and KTranslator (or KBabel) would be cool
to embed like any other app that may be needed during development. Then
we avoid any workarounds for swallowing like 1.2 has which doesn´t work
with KDE 2 apps.

The good thing about that is that we have a much better way (and more
code-saving) to implement the UI stuff like the toolbar messages,
configurable toolbars/menubar and so on. That stuff is really needed and
cut´n paste the code of some methods won´t be too hard. Also we can
reimplement methods much cleaner than hacking around like we´re
currently doing and it will give a much better start for all developers
to get into the code again.

It´s not that I want to start KDevelop from scratch, just the UI and
implement feature by feature from the old CKDevelop class and avoiding
too many dependencies to other classes so we can extend the new KDevelop
class without too much recompile for the developers.

Is that OK with you if that would cause some more work to put the MDI
and dockwidget stuff into dedicated methods so it isn´t messed up around
the whole class ?

Ralf
--
Maintainer's Motto: If we can't fix it, it ain't broke.

Ralf Nolden

The KDevelop Project
http://www.kdevelop.org

Email: rnolden at kdevelop.de