Fwd: Last news on the code completion feature

Sandy Meier smeier at kdevelop.de
Mon Feb 28 20:45:08 UTC 2000

FYI

----------  forwarded message ----------
Subject: Last news on the code completion feature
Date: Mon, 28 Feb 2000 10:39:43 +0100
From: "Manuel J. Escobar" <mesco at lycosmail.com>

Hi, Sandy,

I'm glad to tell you that I've made it to produce a prototype of the
code completer for KDevelop.
As you (or was it J.Jordin?) suggested I've downloaded the 1.1beta2
sources but I'm still working on the 1.0 version, just for semplicity.

The current version reacts to the "." and "->" character sequences in
KWrite and emits a signal which is trapped by CKDevelop.  CKDevelop then
asks information to the CClassStore (which has been extended) and
successively asks KWrite to show a specific popup menu (a new class
named CMemberListBox).  After the user selection the popup's
"itemSelected" signal is received by KWrite who inserts the text just
after the ".".  Simple in theory but hard to put together since I wasn't
very confident with the KDevelop sources.

TO DO:
- The mechanism works only for global objects.  Local scope parsing
needs to be implemented.
- I'm using a simple QListBox-based widget (no icons).  I'd prefer a
widget with a small icon on each item  (Visual Basic-like) but for this
version is more than enough.
- The code completer is active within comments too (that should be easy
to fix).
- The code completer doesn't (yet;-) supports word completion, only
member selection.

Within some days I'll have a pre-release for you all, I'd say that about
the 50% of the work is done.  Please let me know how the code can be
merged into the main sources.  Should I enter the CVS system (I'm new to
that) or I could send you a patch (easier;-).

Have a good week.

Manuel J. Escobar
mesco at lycosmail.com
--