What next?

Ivan Hawkes linuxgroupie at ivanhawkes.com
Sun Dec 10 21:54:15 UTC 2000

After many hours of fighting it out with the makefiles, I have got my little
contribution into the directory and make structure of the main project. Now,
I am just struggling with the horror of trying to guess how to integrate the
component.

I'm guessing that I need to create a widget of some kind to connect my work
into the main structure. The big question is, what kind?

Here's my guesses as to what to do.

1. Shoehorn project into the parts directory and add my directory into the
list of directories in the parts Makefile.am

NOTE: I have done this, and run make -f Makefile.cvs, then a ./configure to
try and generate sane makefiles, but the ./configure doesn't create files in
my new subdirectory - not sure why. I got around it by renaming the dir to
grepview, doing the make/configure and then renaming back. Did I miss
something?

2. Create a factory class, based on grepview's version.

This was nice and easy :-)

3. Create a .rc file to alter the menu.

Again, I based mine on grepview and altered as needed.

4. Create a .desktop file.

Based it on grepview and changed what I thought needed changing...

5. Create a kdevComponent based class to act as your component.

Here's where it starts to go pear shaped. I have copied grepview's version of
this and commented out a fair whack of the code till I get some hints.
grepview creates a widget based on ProcessView, which doesn't seem to be
entirely appropriate for my stuff.  I'm guessing I need to create a widget,
but don't know what kind to use, when it will be activated, when it
deactivates, etc.

6. Do a big fat make...and watch the errors pile in :-)

7. make install

Do I have to do a make install each time to test my work? This seems odd. Is
there a way to set the project up so it executes the latest compiled version
of my code, rather than me having to make install all the time?

Plenty of dumb questions there...but I'm still coming to grips with all this
stuff, and there's a large codebase with very little docs. If you guys can
provide me with the right hints and guidance, I'll type up some FAQs.

As always, thanks.

-
unsubscribe »your-email-address«