ANNOUNCE: New KDevelop Design

Sandy Meier smeier at rz.uni-potsdam.de
Sat Oct 2 21:08:04 UTC 1999

On Sat, 02 Oct 1999 you wrote:
> >And if you want to code for KDE 99% of the users will take C++, or?
>
> Because they don't know Python :-)
:-)

> Restructuring KDevelop is not (or not only) a question of
> support of different languages. It's also a question of maintainability.
> Currently much functionality is concentrated in the class CKDevelop
> which doesn't necessarily belong there. For example, it "knows" too
> much about all the widgets in the main window. The right way to go(tm)
> is too make all the components as independent from CKDevelop as possible.

Yes, I agree and I don't doubt that we will manage the restructuring in the
future.:-)

> Compile and link times are already now too
> high for my taste. The interface between KDevelop and the dialog
> editor has a design bug: the slightest change in some header file
> causes the complete dialog editor to be recompiled. Ugly. It
> would be nice to have the dialog editor as plugin which is loaded
> at runtime.

Yes, we must think about the integration of the dialog editor again. In my
opinion with the switch to MDI we should bring the dialogeditor to the
mainview and during this migration we can fix the design problems I think.:-)

Ciao!
Sandy