Fwd: Re: KDevelop bug #2376

Martin Piskernig martin.piskernig at stuwo.at
Mon Dec 6 15:05:57 UTC 1999

I forward this to you as positive critics ;-)
<quote>
Subject: Re: KDevelop bug #2376
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 1999 09:44:32 +0800
From: John Summerfield <summer at OS2.ami.com.au>

> Hi!
>
> You sent in a bug report with the topic "Dialogue editor".
> I have closed this bug because those are questions about
> the usage of KDevelop which I will try to answer right now:
> 1. "The dialogue editor has absolutely no widgets."
>     After creating a new dialog choose the tab "Widgets". There
>     you can find all those like a label, multilineedit etc.

I've discovered the problem; I these are only present if one has created
or opened a project. kdevelop has no concept of a default or unnamed
project. This is not what I expected. I can live with it, but I do expect
a few more people will be confused by it, especially since one can invoke
the dialogue editor.

If you want kdevelop to work this way, perhaps you should grey out the
selection on the view menu, and disable the menu button.

> 2. see 1.
> 3. Open the menu "View" and click on the first menu item ("Source code editor
> ")
>    Or click on the 4th-last icon in the toolbar next to "Tree View" and "Outp
> ut
>    View" icons.

One of the less sensible ideas I've seen on the kde look & feem list is
the idea of redesigning menus according to context.

This implementation of kdevelop illustrates the reason it's a silly idea;
you've left the 'Source code editor' off the menu. better if all possible
actions were present, and you disable inactive selections.

having them present also helps educate users; they see selections and can
remember where they were. Entries coming and going can only lead to
confusion, both for an indivudual, and for groups: you (presumambly) saw
"Source code editor" at some point whereas is clearly is NOT present here.

--
Cheers
John Summerfield